Monday, August 25, 2014

34:52 {Ishpeming}

When you finally go back to your old hometown,
you find it wasn't the old home you missed
but your childhood.
-Sam Ewing


Dear Sam-

I disagree with you on this quote.  I didn't have a particularly terrible childhood, I was however bullied and subsequently faced a number of years of depression.  I think of myself as a fortunate one.  One who was able to overcome depression, albeit, at times with the help of pharmaceuticals, but mostly with the help of 'talk therapy'.  So no, I do not miss my childhood.  I am much wiser and happier now than I ever was as a child.

Now, onto my hometown.  I grew up in Ishpeming, Michigan.  While my parents and a couple siblings still reside in Ishpeming, I have no specific connection other than that.  It was a fine place to grow up.


Ishpeming is situated in the Upper Peninsula.  Now, the Upper Peninsula is something that I often miss.  There is a saying that goes something like this, "all good things have roots in the U.P.".  While I cannot for the life of me remember where I heard that, I will take it.  In the U.P. you can find peace and solace from the busyness of life.  Surrounded by water and woods, there may not be a more beautiful place to be.  Finland, as in the country, rivals this.

1 comment:

maaretp said...

You inspire me with how open you are about the bullying you endured in childhood. It gives me pause. And more inspirational than that is how you've overcome this meanness which was directed towards you.

On a different note: enjoy your last week as a Miss!!!!