Monday, July 6, 2015

A much needed "memory-cation"

For whatever reason, this past week has been particularly difficult.  The struggle has been grappling with keeping a positive mind-set and being frustrated and even irritable with many many things.  This isn't a posting in which I will be delving into the minutia of life and agonizingly picking it apart to better understand; it is about keeping happiness near the surface of your heart.

Last evening a wild thunderstorm crept through our area leaving in its wake hours of endless rain.  Rain well into today.  While I'm not one who generally allows myself to be irritated by the weather, I certainly was today.  Plans for biking went out the window, leaving mundane tasks to be completed, that was if I could find the motivation to do them.  I pondered throughout the day what I could do to kick start my internal engine to be satisfied and feel productive.  Really it was just a depressing day.  Yes, cleaning got done, but it got done without feelings of accomplishment.  The dogs got walked and played with, without feelings of accomplishment.    Dinner got made and eaten, also without feeling like anything had been accomplished.  In this self miserious (I just made that word up) funk I tried to think up something I had done that was completely and utterly relaxing and rejuvenating.   I had just the memory. The Flamingo Spa in Helsinki Finland.  It was a happy memory and I knew just where to go to relax and relive this memory-the shower.  I have often turned to long hot showers to relax and let go of worries and stresses, so it was the perfect place to go into my head for a "memory-cation".

Memories of the Flamingo


I stepped into the shower and brought myself back to the Flamingo.  I instantly recalled the sounds, smells, sights.  The most relaxing described below...

Pool One: The mineral pool.  All worries and stresses are quick to elude the memory while floating on your back with your ears submerged listening to the gentle classical calming underwater music.  Floating, eyes closed, peace enveloping your being, only to be interrupted when you accidentally float into the side of the pool or your legs become so heavy they start falling and your feet hit the pool bottom.  Reality returns but only fleetingly until you are ready to return to some form of grounded relaxation where then you turn to the submerged bubbling water beds.  I think I'll have to mentally return here more often.

Pool Two: A shallow warm bath water pool.  You sit and the water comes up to your chest.  A great place to chat about life's mysteries, future plans, dreams, and so forth with good friends.  I recalled feeling at peace hanging out with my Finnish friends.  Chatting about life.  It reminds me that I should email more often.

Sauna One: Your typical steam sauna.  Relaxation to the core where life weary muscles can relax and rejuvenate.

Sauna Two: A steam sauna.  Two variations if I remember correctly.  The fragrances were different.  Not quite as hot as your typical Finnish sauna but relaxing and rejuvenating.  A wonderful place for continued conversation or friendly silence.

Following these relaxing areas I mentally returned to the salt lounge.

The Salt Lounge:  Flopping down on a couch the air feels cool to my skin but wonderful to breath in.  There are large pieces of salt I'm not sure from where with water running.  Peaceful calming music play and I quickly found myself asleep.  I've since learned that being in a salt room is actually good for respiration.  No wonder I felt so good.  I recalled this memory and am reminded to go visit the Salt Caves in Minneapolis again.

As conversations wind down and returning to reality is necessary a great place to return was the wheel shower.

The Wheel Shower:  This is a great place to end your stay or to reground yourself after relaxing.  The wheel turns and alternating dumps warm and cold water on you.  Rejuvenating and refreshing to say the least.

I shut off the shower and stepped out.  Feeling refreshed and at least ready to face tomorrow with a different mind set.  I will physically return someday, for now, it'll have to be a "memory-cation" when relaxing and rejuvenating is needed.

Where do you go mentally to reset?

No comments: