Saturday, October 6, 2012

the pink bunny

The Journal Jar asked "Did you have a favorite blanket or toy? Tell about it."

It's Easter Sunday 1985.  I'm laying on the loveseat in the living room and two of my siblings are excitedly telling me to get up and look for my Easter basket.  The only problem was, I was sick.   I distinctly remember telling my younger siblings they can find my basket for me but they kept insisting... "It's so easy to find.  You'll find it right away."  Sadness engulfed me as I started to realize the pretty socks that I was so excited to wear with my Easter dress.. probably wouldn't be making it on my feet.  They were the socks that had little beads sewn around the edge of them, and as a second grader those things were important.  I also remember it was my dad's turn to be a visiting pastor at a church two hours away for the Easter service- and I knew, given how I felt that I wouldn't be able to go.  With hesitation and determination to be able to go, I got up to eat a boiled egg.  I took one bite of the egg and realized that my left side wasn't moving and I couldn't chew.  I couldn't move my mouth or my left arm and shortly after lost use of my left leg.  My left side was paralyzed.

A few hours later, I remember sitting in the ER after having many vials of blood drawn, listening to the Dr. tell my mom in a low voice, "She needs to be admitted."  IVs were started and I was brought to a room.  I stayed there for two weeks.  At some point during the first day my mom brought me this stuffed pink bunny.  The bunny has stayed with me for years, it was one of a few favorite toys.  The pink stuffed bunny currently resides in a Rubbermaid container in the crawl space under the stairs with plans to retire during my next move.

The paralysis resolved within a few days and I thankfully have full function of my left appendages.

No comments: