Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Lori

Lori is my sister.  Lori's birthday is October 17, which makes her a Libra.  The biggest kept secret about Lori is that she is extremely artistically talented.

When Lori was a child, in some magazine (I don't recal which one) there was a line drawing of a cartoon bear profile.  This line drawing was part of an advertisement encouraging children to partcipate in an art competition.  The competition was to draw this picture of a bear and send it in to see if they would win.  Lori drew the a bear's profile and sent it in.

It was her submission of her drawing that got her entered as a student of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts at a very young age.  The judges of the competition figured she had traced the bear.  It wasn't until they enlarged her drawing to find out that she hadn't, but was truly a superior artist.  Her homework and assignments were sent to her in the mail.  She'd complete them and send them back.

Once Lori slept walked as a child.  This is an important piece of information for this following story...

One evening, late at night I was curled up in bed.  I was in that twilight zone, peacefully and blissfully about to enter a deep sleep when I heard, "Rachael.  Rachael."  Confused I sat up and said, "Yea".  Lori respond from outside of the bedroom, "come here".  I initially told her 'no' and then started to wonder if she was sleepwalking.  So I got out of bed to find her in the laundry room holding a mop by the handle and firmly pushing it into the floor.  She said, "hold this mop."  I again, told her 'no', but was somehow convinced to hold the mop in place.  While she was walking away she turned around and said, "There is a mouse under that mop."  

Lori was always my one sister who refused to let me sit at home.  Always brimming with excitement and ready to go out and have FUN!  Lori could make the most mundane things seem like you'd be missing out if you didn't participate with her.

 Today Lori is a civil engineer who designs roads.  She also happens to be one of my best friends!

Happy Birthday Lori!  I love you.


No comments: