Saturday, February 4, 2012

Thankful for rime and chivalry...

Today was a rare day; the fog froze.  Rime: is a white ice that forms when the water droplets in fog freeze to the outer surfaces of objects.  When the fog freezes to trees it creates scenery so beautiful it is difficult and nearly impossible for me not to wander in awe of its beauty. 

Rime in all its beauty.
Rime on the apple tree is what made me stop on County Road 32.  Prior to attempting to shoot a picture of the apple tree I tried to find a suitable stopping place on the side of the road.  Having found a place, I switched on the hazard lights, I hoped out and walked about 200 yards to what I considered optimal positioning, as I couldn't walk down into the ditch.  As I walked my brain switched into oblivious mode with only one thought in my head... to try various settings on the camera.  After a few shots I started to wonder at the commotion behind me, turning I notice a vehicle full of men with their windows down.  As I turned they noticed I had a camera in my hands, waved and drove off. 

The apple tree


As I walked back to my car, I understood their concern... What they had seen was a vehicle parked on the side of the road with it's hazards on, and woman dressed in high heeled boots, no mittens, and no jacket. Regardless of the fact that I don't know the men who stopped, I am thankful that they did.  I was warmed by their act of chivalry.

1 comment: