Monday, February 20, 2012

Being independent doesn't equal a desire to be alone

I am independent... but no it isn't because I want to be alone.
  • Yes, I have changed my own flat.  
  • Yes, I have changed my own oil.
  • Yes, I have changed my own brakes.
  • Yes, I have hung drywall.
  • Yes, if I need something done.... I do it, or at least try to.

    • No, it isn't because I have a fierce desire to be independent.
    • No, it isn't because I am out to prove that I can do just as much as men can.
    • No, it isn't because I am interested in cars, or fixing things up.
    • No, it isn't because my degree is in architecture or civil engineering.  
    • No, it isn't because I am a feminist.
    It is simply because 1) I am single, and 2) that my dad and brothers don't live near enough to help me out should I need help.  So....

    Sometimes being independent comes from necessity and not desire.  Tonight was one of those nights that I would have liked nothing more than to have someone else drive me home in this blinding snowstorm. 


    p.s. The next time a guy tells me I am too independent, I'm going to call them to come and change the light bulb in the lamp on the coffee table.  :)