Tuesday, March 19, 2013

stop the car

While working on story retell with a 5 year old...

I read a short story to a 5 year old and instructed him that when he retold the story I would be videotaping him so he could see how his story compared to mine.  I also informed him that he should use full-body listening so he could answer questions at the end of the story.  So I read the story... and this was the following interaction:

Me: Student X, ok now...
Student X: Once upon..
Me: Student X, please stop I'm not....
Student X (interrupting): Once upon a....
Me (stopping him): X, you need to stop and wait, I...
Student X (interrupting again): Once upon a...
Me (looking exasperated): X...
Student X: Once upon a time...
{This continued for about 5 more times}
Me (finally having enough raised my tone): X!  You need to stop! 
Student X: Ok. Once upon...
Me (again firmly): X!  Stop!  When a teacher asks you to stop, you need to stop what you are doing, look at them and listen to what they are telling you.
Student X: Stop.  Just like when you see a stop sign, you need to stop the car.
Me: Yes, just like when you stop a car.
Student X (sadly): Ok, Teacher Rachael.  I'm sorry :(

No comments: